30 March 2009

Caps & Covers

It's a brand new week and even if our lives are busy, busy, busy, I hope that recycling has become part of the daily routine. This week we'll see the transformation of bottle caps and covers from blah to Tada!

Today, instead of the doing the crafting myself, I'll take you on a little journey to show you how other people recycle. Our trip begins in Amsterdam...

...where a bottle cap was left stranded on a sidewalk.
I decided to rescue it as a free souvenir.
"It might be useful one day," I said to myself.

The journey continues in the city of Durban in South Africa where I stumbled upon this store bursting with personality. It's called ART AFRICA selling local crafts, many of them made with recycled objects. Another special thing about the crafts is that the people who made them suffer from poverty or are afflicted with AIDS. For them it's a way to earn some income and provides them with pride and purpose. Look how they've transformed humble bottle caps into refrigerator magnets! I love how they captured unique and colorful scenes from African life.

These small suitcases made from bottle caps (and another from shoe polish tins) are also sold at ART AFRICA. Use it as a purse, a lunch box or for storage.

These are some inspiring ideas I can use for my growing collection of bottle caps that started in Amsterdam! See you all tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving this!

    Thank you kindly for your sweet comment on my blog today.

    I pray you big blessings and smiles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristin for your kind words & lovely wishes =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!