05 September 2017

Crafting from the Book: How To Make It

One of the books I thoroughly enjoyed reading this summer is "How To Make It".

Written and photographed by Erin Austen Abbott, it gives a lot of helpful information if you are considering turning your creative hobby into a business.

There are studio tours, interviews, and lists of "inspiring songs from the studio" from 25 different creative entrepreneurs.

Plus, there are also different DIY projects like this one:

It's by Lauren Bradshaw, doll maker and owner of Walnut Animal Society.

I decided to make my own lavender sachet because I had the materials on hand, and it's something I've never made.

It's a clever way to use fabric remnants and easy enough to do even if you don't have a sewing machine.

I cut two identical squares out of my fabric.

Then pinned them together (with the printed side facing each other). I also measured a half-inch margin from the edges.

I sewed along the margin, all around the fabric, but left a two-inch hole on one end.

I turned my sachet inside out, using a pencil to push out the stubborn corners.

These are dried lavender stems I took home from a trip to a lavender farm. Surprisingly, they are still very fragrant!

I filled the sachet with lavender buds (use a funnel and pour these through the hole in the sachet) and I used whole stems, too (which is less cumbersome and adds shape to make it look more pillow-like).

Stitch up the open hole.

And here is my lavender sachet...TADA!

It adds a fresh and relaxing fragrance to a drawer or glove compartment. When the scent dissappears, simply replace with new buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!