07 August 2022

Naturally Dyed Fabric and a Utensil Set

Hey guys! Thank you for hanging out with me today.

Starbucks merchandise, eco-friendly, reusable utensil set, flatware, cloth napkin, blah to TADA, eco-friendly ideas, blah to TADA

I saw this at a coffee shop -- it's a kit containing a set of stainless steel flatware (fork, knife, spoon) in a carrying case that doubles as a napkin. Isn't this awesome? Use these instead of disposable utensils and help save our planet...TADA!  
 
I was so inspired with the idea, I had to make one myself. Why buy when we can D.I.Y.? But to make it my own, I decided to dye my own fabric.

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye

Did you know that if you boil avocado pits in water, the water turns into a pink liquid? Instant natural dye!

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

I used white fabric and cut them into rectangles measuring 12 inches by 8 inches. 

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori, rubber bands

I tied the fabric with rubber bands, the same way you would when making tie dye t-shirts.

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye

Then I placed the fabric in the tinted water. I let this simmer on a low flame for about 30 minutes. Then I took the pot off the heat and let the fabric sit in the water overnight. The next day, I took them out of the water, removed the rubber bands, rinsed the fabric, and let them air dry. After ironing, this is what they look like: 

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

Unique prints in a subtle shade of raspberry...TADA!

I want to showcase them individually, too:

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

I took two sheets and sewed them together to make my cutlery case:

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

This is the back.

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori, sewing, handmade pouch

The flip side with divided slots.

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

Put the utensils in each slot (chopsticks or a reusable straw can also be included).

natural dye, eco-dyeing, avocado dye, avocado seeds, avocado pits, pot, crafty in the kitchen, blah to TADA, how to dye fabric naturally, color fabric with natural dye, tie dye, Shibori

Roll it and secure with a ribbon closure...TADA!

I got to use avocado pits to make natural dye and I'll be bringing my own reusable utensils whenever I can. Score for the planet!

If you want to learn how to extract dye from avocado pits, you'll find a detailed tutorial here. And if you want more of these "blah to TADA!" ideas right in your inbox, please subscribe here.

3 comments:

  1. I've dyed fabric and eggs using red onion, carrots, and tea before, but not avocado pits. They produce such a lovely pink, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priscilla! The pink color is both surprising and lovely. I'd like to try your natural dying techniques, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Priscilla! The pink color was surprising and lovely! I'd like to try your natural fabric dying techniques, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!