13 March 2022

Do-it-Yourself Spool Rack

Good day everyone!

I have a little sewing corner in my home office. It's just a desk with a sewing machine. That's what my space allows me for now and I'm making the most of it. But I thought it would be nice to have a rack to organize my thread and keep them within arm's reach.

It would be a dream come true to have a whole wall dedicated to sewing paraphernalia. But since I have space limitations and my crafting focus is not just sewing, maybe something like this is a better fit:

spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA
Dandelions and Lace

A spool rack! I've been on the lookout for something similar. I saw one at a thrift store a few years ago selling for $8 and I really regret not buying it. But why buy when we can D.I.Y.?

spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, wood panel, scrap wood, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

I stashed away this piece of wood for future crafting needs. Well, the future has arrived!

spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

One side is made of wood and the back side is made of cork.

acrylic paint, paint, paintbrush, newspaper,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

I painted both sides in several coats of black acrylic paint.

black paint,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

This is what it looks like after drying overnight.

picture hanging hooks, hammer, black paint,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

I attached some picture-hanging hooks at the back.

hammer, nails, tool box, carpentry, black paint,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

And I selected some small nails from our tool box.

ruler, white pencil, measuring, black paint, scrap wood, spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

On the front side, I marked with a white pencil where the nails should go.

nails, hammer, scrap wood, black paint, measuring, hammer,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

I hammered in the nails and erased the pencil lines with a dab of water.

thread, spools of thread, colorful thread, Joanns,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

Then I took out my spools of thread...

thread, spools of thread, Joanns, bobbins, pin cushion, scissors, scrap wood,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

And hung each one on a nail.

thread, spools of thread, Joanns, bobbins, pin cushion, scissors, scrap wood,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

Since I had more thread than slots on the rack, I chose the colors that I use most often.

pins, sewing essentials,thread, spools of thread, Joanns, bobbins, pin cushion, scissors, scrap wood,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

The bottom nails hold bobbins, a pin cushion, and a pair of scissors -- all that I need for my sewing machine projects.

Singer Esteem II sewing machine, sewing nook, home office,thread, spools of thread, Joanns, bobbins, pin cushion, scissors, scrap wood,spool rack, how to make a spool rack, DIY spool rack, thread rack, sewing room, craftroom, sewing machine, how to organize sewing supplies, blah to TADA

Here's my sewing nook and my spool rack made from wood, paint, nails, and lots of wrist action. I used simple materials that I turned from "blah to TADA!"

Thank you for reading and if you want my blog posts delivered straight to your inbox, simply subscribe here.

2 comments:

Your comments are very much appreciated!