26 September 2012

Hunting for Treasures

Shopping at flea markets/thrift stores was on my agenda over the summer, as I've listed on my "Splendid Summer" board on Pinterest. Today, can I show you where I went and what I found?

"Tea for one" teapot stacked on a cup and saucer
scored at the Housing Works Thrift Shop.

What I love about it is the "Alice in Wonderland"
design - the tea party of all tea parties! It looked
unused and was still in its original box...
and I paid just $5.00 for it!

Stumbled upon The Hyde Park Antiques Center
in Upstate New York. Don't be fooled by its
quaint facade -- it's huge once you enter.

Inside you'll find concessionaires selling
furniture and home accessories,
arranged in pretty vignettes.

Boudoir-like spaces carrying
simple, frothy and sparkly dresses... 

...and accessories to match.

Hardbound books and old magazines
that take you to lands far, far away.

There's a clock room that was both
fascinating (makes you wonder how old
these were) and terrifying
(the chorus of 

tick-tocks reminded me of looming deadlines).

Pretty tableware...loved the dishes on the upper left.

There was a well-curated booth called Telesca
selling vintage country finds like these
bingo cards.

My husband took home a pair of cuff links...

...while I added another teacup to my collection.
What sealed the deal? My birth month was
printed on it! The sweet pea flowers are also
associated with this month.


In Lafayette, New Jersey, there's what's called
Old Lafayette Village, offering outlet shopping,

food and specialty shops, summer festivals
and farmer's markets.


There are a handful of antique shops as well.

Just right for the little "old lady" in me.

Treasures worth the time and inspection.

Souvenirs from a simpler time.

I was drawn to the old toys and
floral China (of course).

As you can see, one person's trash is another person's treasure. Isn't that blah to TADA? I hope you enjoyed our trips today!

2 comments:

  1. It would be hard to choose what to buy! Claire, you found a good buy with the 'Alice in Wonderland' teapot and tea cup..I love Thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! I'm quite giddy about the Alice in Wonderland tea set...because it's both cute and CHEAP! :)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!