01 December 2014

Hand-Painted Ornaments

December is upon us and Christmas indeed is a few days away. 

Out in the shops, as early as September, holiday decorations were already up and ready for purchase. I'm not sure if that put people in a holiday mood or got them frustrated.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. But Christmas in December (not August or October).  I managed to put blinders on to avoid all the shiny trim and blinking lights to focus on what's important.  Today, I'll show you what Christmas means to me with a little blah to TADA! 

This is a page I ripped off from last year's Crate and Barrel catalog. I thought it was a cool craft to recreate.

I bought these birch rounds from my favorite craft store when they went on sale.

They're natural, rustic, and bring a bit of the outdoors inside. 

I sanded each one, wiped down any dust, and painted them white.

After letting the paint dry, I made some sketches. 

I thought a little whimsy was the way to go.

Then I added some color.

And here are what I love about Christmas:

It's Jesus' birthday. Really, he's the star of the show.

Going to church and reliving the story of Jesus. 

Coming home and being with family. 

Putting up decorations at home and admiring the lights around the neighborhood. 

 Listening to Christmas carols -- plus points if it's a real choir!

Writing, sending, and receiving Christmas cards.

An abundant feast, ideally with some bubbly and lots of dessert. It's a good excuse to indulge while exchanging stories with people I love.

Thoughtfulness and generosity through simple, yet beautifully wrapped, presents.

I finished these off by attaching picture hanging hooks and baker's twine. Now, they're ready for the tree. TADA!

How about you, what do you love about this season?

2 comments:

  1. Your ornaments are beautiful... and very representative of the season. At Christmas time, I love getting away for an evening walk in the neighbourhood, admiring the twinkling lights and feeling the crunch of snow under my boots. Of course, after Christmas, I just grumble about our non-stop winters...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your note Rochelle! An evening walk sounds really good :) Happy Holidays!

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!