26 December 2021

A Monthly Embroidery Project

Hello there! As many of you know, I try to maintain a creative practice, blocking off a few minutes each day to make some art. It lets me play freely (no end goal in mind) and I think it improves my problem solving skills (ex. how do I draw a skyline with just one shade of paint?). 

I chanced upon "Stitch This in Your Style" sewing challenge hosted by Brianna and Krista on Instagram. On the first day of every month, they post a word that participants use as a prompt for an embroidery project.

Can I share what I made? 

loyalty, embroidery hoop, embroidery project, sewing project, sewing crafts, needle and thread, blah to TADA, hand lettering

January's prompt was "one word". I chose LOYALTY because it was heavy on my mind after the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. We all have our loyalties: family, friends, brands, companies we work for, sports teams, celebrities, leaders, political parties. But how far does one go to prove his or her loyalty? What if the one we are loyal to has gone against the moral standards of what we uphold, do we still remain loyal? 

The word is hand lettered and finished with embroidery. I added some bluebells because these flowers convey loyalty.  

champagne embroidery, embroidery hoop art, embroidery hoop, embroidery project, sewing project, sewing crafts, needle and thread, blah to TADA, hand lettering

February's prompt was DRINK. I chose to embroider a bottle of champagne and two coupes because I associate this drink with celebration and merriment.  

embroidery hoop art, embroidery hoop, embroidery project, sewing project, sewing crafts, needle and thread, blah to TADA, botanical print

The prompt for March was MONOCHROME. I chose a springtime theme because spring is symbolic for new beginnings. Even with the availability of vaccines, the pandemic was still on its third and fourth wave. Yet I remain hopeful and continue to look forward to safer, better days ahead.

embroidery, sewing crafts, embroidery loop, embroidery thread, blah to TADA, embroidered sun, embroidered cloud, what to do with scrap fabric, printed fabric

April's prompt was WEATHER. I embroidered partial sun, using a chain stitch for the sun and a mix of French knots and straight stitches for the cloud. I like this kind of weather because the sun's rays aren't too harsh and the conditions are just right for natural light photography. 

embroidery, sewing crafts, embroidery loop, embroidery thread, blah to TADA, what to do with scrap fabric, nostalgia, birthday party-themed embroidery

In May, the word was NOSTALGIA and my thoughts immediately went to childhood birthday parties. The elements look like a child's drawing of a birthday cake, balloons, sweets, invitations and gifts. I colored the blank areas using art pencils and sewed a black outline, similar to the pages of coloring book. Oh, those happy, carefree days of youth!

embroidery, sewing crafts, embroidery loop, embroidery thread, DMC thread, blah to TADA, what to do with scrap fabric, fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast embroidery, Lumiere candelabra

In June, the prompt was FAIRYTALE. I picked Lumiere, the French candelabra, from the animated version of "Beauty and the Beast." One of my favorite scenes from the film was when he sang "Be Our Guest" as he welcomed Belle into the enchanted castle.

embroidery, sewing crafts, embroidery loop, embroidery thread, DMC thread, blah to TADA, what to do with scrap fabric, home, house, childhood, nostalgia, memories

July's prompt was HOME. When I was little, a "fancy house" meant it had to have a second floor, a swimming pool, a bathtub. We had none of that. My Papa, Mama, my two brothers and I lived in a bungalow but it had all we needed. It wasn't a fancy house but it was HOME. There was a swing attached to a fruit-bearing tree in the backyard. We always had a dog. And if a family member was out (working overtime or on a night out with friends), the light outside was always on. It meant someone was always waiting for your return.

embroidery, sewing crafts, embroidery loop, embroidery thread, DMC thread, blah to TADA, what to do with scrap fabric, beach embroidery, beach, seashells, watercolor in fabric, french knot stitch

The prompt for August was SUMMER and for me, that means a trip to the beach. I used a white piece of scrap fabric, painted it with watercolor (blue for the sky, a darker blue of the water, and a light brown for the sand). Once the paint was dry, I added embroidery and embellished with seashells (attached with hot glue) to make this little seascape.

embroidered letters, embroidered alphabet, sewing letters on paper, handmade card, greeting card, sewing crafts, paper crafts, booklet, blah to TADA, stitch this in your style challenge, card stock, embroidery thread, pin cushion, Amy Tangerine crafts, You Are Magic

In September, the challenge was to use MULTIMEDIA or combining embroidery with one or more art techniques. I decided to embroider on paper to make this greeting card...TADA! I used card stock, embroidery thread, and this lettering kit as a guide to sew my letters. Inside, I wrote a handwritten message and enclosed some stickers for a magical little girl.

stitch this in your style sewing challenge, embroidery, sewing, needle and thread, embroidery thread, DMC thread, ghost, monsters, Halloween, Halimaw sa Banga, blah to TADA, sewing crafts, fabric crafts,

October's prompt was timely for Halloween: MONSTERS. In the Philippines, where I grew up, there was once a horror movie called "Halimaw sa Banga" or monster living in a giant pot. You know, those big pots you'd see in a garden store or botanical garden? Every time I see a pot like that, I always wonder if there was a monster hiding inside. I would never bother to look -- too afraid of what I might find!

stitch this is your style sewing challenge, embroidery, sewing, handmade, crafts, Thanksgiving, turkey and side dishes, pie, blah to TADA, needle and thread, embroidery floss, DMC thread, embroidery hoop, fabric crafts, pussy willow, food

November's prompt was FOOD. I embroidered a Thanksgiving spread of turkey, some favorite sides like sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy and greens (it's brussels sprouts with bacon this year) and of course, pie! I couldn't help but sew the word "thankful" for I'm extra, extra grateful for good health, family, friends, and food on the table with enough to share.

stitch this is your style sewing challenge, embroidery, sewing, handmade, crafts, "Be present", "present", "one word", blah to TADA, needle and thread, embroidery floss, DMC thread, embroidery hoop, fabric crafts,

And finally for December: "one word." I chose the word PRESENT because this was my intention at the start of 2021. I wanted to be fully present and avoid being distracted (ex. watching TV while scrolling on my phone) or doing too much multi-tasking that often left me overwhelmed. I was successful 75% of the time. I would be aware and tell myself, "be present, be present!"

Do you remember in school, when teachers checked attendance? We'd say, "Present!" when our name was called? I like that, too. It means we showed up. And through anxiety, grief and frustration, I did my best to still show up this year. 

PRESENT can also mean "gift" and that's what each new days brings -- a present to be unwrapped and be grateful for. I hope to carry this mindset for the years to come.    


Thank you for reading this long post showing how I turned scrap fabric, embroidery hoops, needle and thread from "blah to TADA!" 

The New Year is a blank slate. Let's all make it colorful, creative and meaningful!

4 comments:

  1. You're so skilled with needle and thread! Your French knots on the clouds are so tall and tight. I love embroidering on paper. A little green, red, and white thread makes ordinary paper into Christmas wrap. You had an awesome year of needlework!

    My word for 2021 was "brain" as in doing things for the health of my brain (nutrition, SLEEP, creativity, reading, learning). Getting adequate sleep has proven to be the most difficult.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Priscilla, for ALWAYS leaving me an encouraging comment. I am grateful for you! BRAIN is such a good word! I hope you are able to rest before the New Year arrives!

      Delete
  2. These are fabulous. So very colorful and creative. I’d say you nailed every month. Thanks so much for sharing. Anne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!