19 November 2023

Illustrated Menus Inspired by Chef Jacques Pepin

It's the week of Thanksgiving and I'm inspired by the great and endearing Chef Jacques Pepin. Over the years, he has taught us easy French meals through his TV show and a slew of cookbooks. I don't know if you're aware, but he's also one talented artist. His work has been featured in an exhibit and his favorite subjects include food, flowers, and chickens.

Jacques Pepin print, Jacques Pepin art, Chef Jacques Pepin, chicken, paintings by chefs, blah to TADA

In fact, my husband and I acquired this print (that is personally signed) in 2020. It's displayed in our dining room and we find the colors truly joyful and love the abundance that it represents.

Chef Pepin has also illustrated menus over the years, memorializing food he's cooked and parties he's hosted:

Chef Jacques Pepin, art by Jacques Pepin, menus by Jacques Pepin, watercolor, art, blah to TADA
via Jacques Pepin



Chef Jacques Pepin, art by Jacques Pepin, menus by Jacques Pepin, watercolor, art, blah to TADA
via Jacques Pepin

Chef Jacques Pepin, art by Jacques Pepin, menus by Jacques Pepin, watercolor, art, blah to TADA
via Jacques Pepin


Aren't they lovely? What a nice way to remember a meal!

So I thought, maybe I should illustrate our Thanksgiving Menus from now on using watercolor, brush lettering or calligraphy

handwritten menu, menu, Thanksgiving, watercolor, brush lettering, hand lettering, calligraphy, Pentel brush pen, entertaining, blah to TADA

Once the menu is finalized, I write it down on a sheet of paper (cardstock or watercolor paper would be my preference). I use a pencil, being mindful of the margins and the spacing at this point.

handwritten menu, menu, Thanksgiving, watercolor, brush lettering, hand lettering, calligraphy, Pentel brush pen, entertaining, blah to TADA

Then I use a brush pen while following the pencil marks that I made. I make sure the letters are legible and thicken all the downstrokes (as compared to the thin upstrokes). I let the ink dry then erase all the pencil marks.

handwritten menu, menu, Thanksgiving, watercolor, brush lettering, hand lettering, calligraphy, Pentel brush pen, entertaining, blah to TADA

Then I sketch out a border (I'm really feeling the autumn leaves outside my window) and fill it in with watercolor.

handwritten menu, menu, Thanksgiving, watercolor, brush lettering, hand lettering, calligraphy, Pentel brush pen, entertaining, blah to TADA

Here is the illustrated Thanksgiving menu that I made...TADA!

If it's a small party, I can make several copies and position one on each place setting. If it's a buffet, I can frame it for guests to know the names of each dish. Then I can send a digital copy of the illustrated menu together with the evening's photos to all of our guests. It's definitely a unique party favor showing the memories we've made.

That is how I'm turning a plain menu from blah to TADA!

To all of you who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving!

If you'd like more crafty ideas delivered to your inbox, please subscribe here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!