21 April 2024

Things To Look Forward To

Hello there!

Today, I'm going to share a book that I absolutely love. It's written by Sophie Blackall who is an Australian author and illustrator based in New York. 

I was first introduced to her work in her book, Missed Connections. She illustrated stories she found in the "Missed Connections" postings on Craigslist. It started out as a blog and then became a book! Here's a sample:

"Owl Lady in the Red Dress: We both purchased owl statues today. 
You are the classy looking dame in a red dress. 
I am the mustachioed gentleman. I think we should meet up and 
discuss further wildlife decor.


I love how Sophie Blackall drew how these people would have looked in real life. She captured the feelings of attraction, regret, and hope -- maybe, these people would meet again after reading the postings.  Wouldn't that be romantic?

Sophie Blackall wrote and illustrated another book for grown-ups called "Something to Look Forward To."  She worked on it during the pandemic with this premise: Everyone needs things to look forward to -- big things and small things, on good days and on bad days; things that will buoy our spirits and make us laugh and help us feel alive. 
 
I think this is her most personal work yet and here are a few of my favorite things that she mentions in the book:

Item Number 2: Coffee
"When I ask people what they look forward to in life, the answer I hear
more than any other is coffee. Coffee is the boost we need to get going --
and to keep going."

Item No. 4: Baking Something for Someone
"We have carpenters working on our barn, and I look forward to baking
them muffins...I've noticed the muffin days are always more productive.
For me, that is."


Item Number 11: Drawing on Eggs
"If you have an egg in your house, you can draw a face on it.
No one will stop you. Then you will look forward to opening the
fridge. You will amuse yourself no end."

Item Number 12: A Cup Of Tea
"If coffee is the boost that propels you into the day, a cup of tea is
the soft landing when you inevitably come back down. Comforting,
reassuring, procrastinating tea. Sometimes the idea of tea will
suffice; it's enough just to put the kettle on."

Item Number 29: Rereading Favorite Bits of a Favorite Book
"There is enormous comfort in beloved, familiar books.
New books are exciting, but in times of need, I turn to old friends.
They're always there when you need them."

Inspired by these thoughts, I made my own list, too:

I look forward to SPRING FLOWERS

I look forward to GOING TO A BOOKSTORE and browsing
each aisle, with extra time at the magazine section

I look forward to WEEKEND BRUNCH

I look forward to SENDING AND RECEIVING SNAIL MAIL

"Things To Look Forward To" by Sophie Blackall is a feel good read and a thoughtful gift for someone going through some challenges. This book might just turn their day from "blah to TADA!"

If you'd like more crafty ideas delivered to your inbox, please subscribe here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!