22 July 2019

A Stylish Storage Container

It's so nice to see you today!

One Christmas, we received this big can filled with bags of popcorn. Each bag had a different flavor, a perfect snack for weekends of binge-watching.

All the popcorn is gone but I kept the can. I liked that it had a lid, a cute design, and it can be used as a storage container. 

Time to turn it from blah to TADA!

I used a paint brush and some white acrylic paint. 

I worked outdoors and covered my surfaces with newspaper. I painted the can and lid with several coats (allow to dry in between coats) until the design was completely covered up.

I found this drawer pull at Target. It was on clearance!

Hearth and Hand Drawer Pull, Chip and Joanna Gaines, Fixer Upper
I attached it to the lid as a handle (you can find similar drawer pulls at the hardware store).

storage container, recycling bin
Here's our newly painted storage container...TADA! At this point, we can add some rust preventive spray to keep it protected.

To easily know what's inside, add a label like a chalkboard or sticker, or do it freehand with brush lettering. 

There are many uses for this storage container: 

A place to keep children's favorite things


A container for pet food


For trash or recyclables

recycling bin
I'm using mine as a recycling bin -- a place to store the items I want to save for crafting like jars, cans, and paper. 

I used stencils and paint for my label:


Martha Stewart Adhesive Stencils, stencils, stick-on stencils

Martha Stewart Adhesive Stencils, stencils, stick-on stencils, paint-on stencils

Martha Stewart Adhesive Stencils, stencils, stick-on stencils
Instead of "Recycling Bin", I opted for the word Repurpose because I think my blah to TADA! projects are all about giving old objects new life and new purpose.  

Martha Stewart Adhesive Stencils, stencils, stick-on stencils
This storage container will sit unobtrusively in my work space. 

Martha Stewart Adhesive Stencils, stencils, stick-on stencils
What's more, it will neatly keep treasures that are ready to be transformed...TADA!

2 comments:

  1. This is great. It would work for smaller tin containers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Priscilla! Thank you for always leaving me nice words! :)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!