29 July 2019

Five Handwritten Cards for Healing

A handwritten note holds great power.  It tells the recipient that they are loved, are thought about kindly, and that they matter.

Do you remember the last time you received a handwritten card, perhaps for a birthday or someone expressing gratitude to you? What did you feel? Wasn't it warm and fuzzy, like you were the most special person on earth?

Why not pay it forward? It's a good excuse to buy nice stationery and a good pen, and more importantly, to brighten somebody's day.

Here are five cards I've sent over the years to those who I think really needed it the most. I call them "Cards for Healing".


1. A card of support after a tragedy


On Valentine's Day in 2018, a tragic mass shooting happened at The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. 

School should be a place where one feels safe but not in this case. The event made students, parents, and teachers associate school with fear and tragedy. The school was closed for some time.  

When the school was scheduled to re-open, I found out on Instagram that one of the teachers encouraged letters and posters to be written for the students. These would be put up on the walls to uplift the students. How could I not participate?

I hope that in my own little way, I have given them some encouragement. I also hope that all these mass shootings will finally stop. 


2. A card for someone going through illness

When I find out that a relative or friend is going through illness, I try my best to reach out. Nobody wants to hear difficult news and if and when they do, they need a hand to hold. 

I made this card for a friend of mine. I told her that for each flower I painted, I said a prayer for her. And that my prayers continue even after I gave her the card. 

I hope that this card is a reminder that her family and friends will her to get well and that she should never give up.  


3. A card for someone who suffered a loss

This is a card I made for a dear friend who lost her partner.  I told her that I share her sadness and included some memorable stories we all had together. 

I received similar letters when my parents passed away. And they gave me so much comfort. Whether it's a loss of a parent, spouse, or a miscarriage, letters like these are always appreciated.  


4. A card commending someone for their bravery

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford bravely testified against then Supreme Court nominee (now Supreme Court Justice) Brett Kavanaugh. In a televised hearing, she recounted a traumatic event that happened between them when they were teenagers. Even if she was afraid and received death threats, she still did it because she said it was her civic duty.     

My heart went out to her and I wanted to let her know. I found a mailing address on Twitter and wrote her a letter telling her that I believed her and I was thankful for her bravery.  


5. A card offering support

Everyone goes through rough patches -- loss of a job, an opportunity not pulling through, a break-up. These moments can be devastating. Words of encouragement may just be what they need to pick themselves up again. 


It is my hope that cards like these turn blahs into TADAs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!