04 June 2023

In My Tool Box: Elastic String

Hi everyone!

I've accumulated quite a number of things in my craft arsenal and I thought I'd share them with you. Maybe you'll find some ideas to start a project, or possibly a solution to a crafty conundrum, or maybe you've seen something similar at the store and not quite sure how to use it.

elastic string, stretchy cord, elastic thread, Flying Tiger, blah to TADA, crafty tools, jewelry making, how to use elastic string

For today, let me tell you about elastic string or stretchy cord. You'll find it in the jewelry section of the craft store and it comes in different widths and colors. My preference are the white or clear ones because these easily blend in or become invisible. 

elastic string, stretchy cord, elastic thread, Flying Tiger, blah to TADA, crafty tools, jewelry making, how to use elastic string, wooden beads, bracelet, bead bracelet

Here, I'm making a bracelet using wooden beads. With the wrist (child or adult) as reference, measure the elastic string the size of the wrist and add two to three inches. Cut the string then add the beads. Close the loop with several knots and hide these knots by tucking it into one of the beads. 

bead bracelet, elastic string, stretchy cord, elastic thread, Flying Tiger, blah to TADA, crafty tools, jewelry making, how to use elastic string, wooden beads, bracelet, bead bracelet, crafts for kids

An easy to assemble bracelet even a preschooler can make...TADA! 

beaded bracelet,elastic string, stretchy cord, elastic thread, Flying Tiger, blah to TADA, crafty tools, jewelry making, how to use elastic string, wooden beads, bracelet, bead bracelet, crafts for kids

This one uses a thinner elastic string and smaller beads that can be embellished with tassels, pompoms, and even charms...TADA! 

beaded bracelet,elastic string, stretchy cord, elastic thread, Flying Tiger, blah to TADA, crafty tools, jewelry making, how to use elastic string, wooden beads, bracelet, bead bracelet, crafts for kids

For a more mature look, I've strung amber beads on this one. It can be worn as a stack of bracelets or as a hair tie...TADA!

*****

Here is another idea:

fabric, bowl cover, lid for bowl, sewing, elastic string, blah to TADA, bowl, fabric crafts, reusable cover

I made a bowl cover...TADA!

fabric, bowl cover, lid for bowl, sewing, elastic string, blah to TADA, fabric crafts, pencil

It's made from scrap fabric. I measured the circumference of the bowl and multiplied that number by 2 to get the size I needed.

fabric, bowl cover, lid for bowl, sewing, elastic string, blah to TADA, fabric crafts, scissors

Then I cut the fabric.

fabric, bowl cover, lid for bowl, sewing, elastic string, blah to TADA

I sewed the outer ends onto the fabric to form a pocket where I inserted the elastic string. I pulled the string (so that the edges gathered up) and tied a knot. I think I'll make a few more of these covers to match the bowls I own. That way I can re-use them and in the process, I am able to avoid plastic wrap.   

fabric crafts, fabric, fabric bowl cover, elastic string, handmade bowl cover, lid for bowl, reusable bowl cover, blah to TADA, sewing, elastic string

I also made a bigger fabric cover for my stand mixer. When not in use, I store the attachments (ex. whisk and paddle) inside the bowl and the cover protects the inside of the bowl from getting dusty...TADA! 


*****

Elastic string is also useful to make accessories.

scrunchie hair tie, uses for elastic string, uses for scrap fabric, sewing crafts, hair accessories, blah to TADA, crafty recycling

This is a hair scrunchie cobbled together using floral fabric with a strip of elastic tucked inside. 

fabric face mask, homage face mask, fabric crafts, blah to TADA, sewing crafts, uses for old t-shirts

During the height of the pandemic, I made a few face masks using old t-shirts and elastic string.

fabric face mask, homage face mask, fabric crafts, blah to TADA, sewing crafts, uses for old t-shirts, floral embroidery

Here's another face mask decorated with floral embroidery...TADA!

As you can see, elastic string is a good addition to a crafter's tool box. How about you, what are the ways you use elastic string?  

If you'd like more ideas like these delivered to your inbox, please subscribe here

2 comments:

  1. The bowl covers are cool. I like them as an alternative to plastic, but I'd never thought about making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are quite fun to make and a good way to use extra fabric. Thanks Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!