28 December 2020

Fabric Face Masks

The year is finally coming to a close. This 2020 was difficult for all of us because of COVID. But I am extra grateful for all that I have NOW and what I've taken for granted before the pandemic. I am still hopeful and look forward to new opportunities to turn blahs to TADAs.  

GSV crafters
via Lancaster Online

One of the things that defined this year was the face mask. When there was a shortage of PPE in March, crafters from all over the world sewed face masks from their stash of fabric and patterns they found on-line. Then sent these to hospitals and nursing homes to protect frontliners and patients. Doing what you can to help, I think that's TADA!

Hedley and Bennett, Ellen Marie Bennett, Wake up and fight mask, face masks, cloth masks, Covid crafts, Rifle Paper Co. fabric, handmade, face coverings, fabric crafts

Even I have started a small collection of face masks. I prefer these cloth ones because they can be washed and used over and over again. I add a coffee filter in the filter slot for added protection. These ones are from Hedley and Bennett. They're in the business of aprons but they quickly converted their factory to make face masks to fill the need. Their buy one, give one model (buy one for yourself and a mask will be sent to an essential worker) encouraged me even more to support them. 

face mask, cloth face mask, handmade face mask, epicycle old t-shirt into face mask, fabric remnants, fabric crafts, elastic, embroidery, embroidered flowers, COVID crafts

I also sewed some myself using remnant fabrics and old t-shirts...TADA!

And I received this package for Christmas -- masks and hand sanitizer. So cute and useful!


When walking around New York City, landmarks remind you that you must wear a mask to protect yourself and others:

New York City Landmarks, Atlas, Atlas by Lee Lawrie
The sculpture of Atlas across St. Patrick's Cathedral

New York City Landmarks, Atlas, Atlas by Lee Lawrie, Atlas sculpture wearing a mask, Covid, pandemic
Atlas wearing a mask 

New York City Landmarks, New York Public Library lions, Patience and Fortitude, Covid, pandemic in New York City
One of the lions outside the New York Public Library

It's a good thing many locals and visitors are compliant:

New York City, Fifth Avenue, Covid, pandemic, wear a mask


A new year is just around the corner but these masks aren't going anywhere.

ace mask, fabric face mask, cloth face mask, COVID crafts, handmade, fabric crafts, necklace, beads, lobster clasps, jewelry making, elastic, embroidery
That's why I made a lanyard for my mask, so it's still on me for the occasions I need to take it off (in the car or while eating).

ace mask, fabric face mask, cloth face mask, COVID crafts, handmade, crafts, necklace, beads, lobster clasps, jewelry making,
It's fashioned out of an old necklace.

face mask, fabric face mask, cloth face mask, COVID crafts, handmade, fabric crafts, necklace, beads, lobster clasps, jewelry making, elastic, embroidery
And the two ends have lobster clasps to easily attach to any mask I own...TADA!

To end this post, here is a photo of one of my plants:

My dear friends gave this to me when my Dad passed away in 2018. While I don't know how to care for orchids, it's still alive to this day with regular watering and sunshine. The buds developed and bloomed in late December. This orchid is always a reminder of a painful season in my life. But every time it blooms, it tells me that life must go on and that there is still beauty on the other side.  


2 comments:

  1. Great post! The orchid in memory of your dad is beautiful. Mickey Mouse makes the masks extra cute.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priscilla! The fun prints on fabrics makes mask-wearing more bearable! :)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!