27 April 2020

Staying Sane at Home

Holy cow, it's already the last week of April! How are you guys doing? 

Personally, I still get bouts of anxiety every now and then. There seems to be no end in sight to this pandemic. Going "back to normal" will not be the normal we are all accustomed to.

I'm really trying to channel my worries into a more optimistic state of mind...you know, blah to TADA! Here are some of the things I've been doing:


1. Prayer and Meditation - it's very helpful to read reassuring verses, envisioning positive thoughts, and do some deep breathing to calm me down. 

I was even moved to make this sketch from scripture: "So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you." -Colossians 3:13


2. Making Art - there's a saying that goes, "Let art get you through the dark". Time and again, making something with my hands has worked as an anchor whether the seas are calm or turbulent.  

I'm participating in "The 100 Day Project" and I'm currently on Day 21. I've shared some tiny paintings on Instagram and I'll write a post about my progress in the coming weeks.

I've also been tuning into various live drawing and watercolor workshops on Instagram with illustrators that I admire like Jordan Sondler, Jessie Kanelos Weiner and Jennifer Orkin Lewis/August Wren. Watching them work is so soothing and it feels good to have some kind of human contact even if I see them but they don't see me.


3. Crafting - while I love doing this, it's been a struggle to start a new project.

I did make my own face mask using a bandana and elastic bands following this tutorial.

I also made a few pop-up cards for our elderly neighbors. I hope it cheers them up and makes them feel less alone.


4. Listening to Music - what better way to feel uplifted than with songs and very talented singers?

Broadway shows had to close their theater doors to help with social distancing measures. I do miss it, but the actors have been getting together to perform on-line. My favorites so far are Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and The Phantom of the Opera

And how about that moving solo performance of Andrea Bocelli


5. Cooking and Baking

Who isn't cooking these days? It satisfies a need since we can't eat out, but it's quite therapeutic and creative, too. 

I've also been baking a lot, making cookies, cakes, and quick breads.

And every afternoon, I'm at Baking Club with Christina TosiShe's the positive energy that we all need right now.


6.Virtual Parties - one thing I'm very grateful for is technology. It keeps us informed, educated, entertained, and connected.

I've been attending a few virtual parties with friends from across the globe via Messenger, ZOOM, and Google Hangouts. We've  been checking in on each other and swapping stories, shows to watch, and recipes to try.

Over the weekend, our family had a party for my little niece who turned one year old. We all made signs that we showed to the camera when we took a photo. That way when she gets older and looks at her old birthday photos, she'll see what a unique celebration we had for her. We had balloons, decorations, a mascot (just a drawing), a chocolate cake with a candle, and we sang "Happy Birthday". We each brought a snack that we were currently eating (ex. pizza, fried chicken, cupcakes) to "share" during our virtual potluck gathering. A real party would have been nice, but like everyone marking a big event, we did the next best thing.


How about you? Care to share some coping strategies? 

I wish you all good health, safety, and a peaceful week ahead!

2 comments:

  1. Your homemade mask looks a lot better than mine from an old tee shirt (but it fits, so no complaints). The dress with the scripture words would make a good Sunday school project for when people can go to Sunday school again.

    I am coping fine. Daily walks or jogs in fresh air help me a lot, so does journaling. I do worry about others, though, and the economy world wide, and people who are sick.:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much uncertainty still. But I am glad you are well, Priscilla! Walks and journaling are such peaceful rituals.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!