13 July 2020

Salt Dough Pendants

I am so glad you were able to stop by today!

The genesis of this craft came when I found these tools in my baking bin:

They are miniature cookie cutters and embossing sheets.  

They are traditionally used for making cookies or fondant shapes for cakes. 

I wanted to make something more long lasting so I thought about salt doughI've worked with salt dough in the past to make this, this, and this.

Salt dough is an easy recipe: In a bowl, add 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup water. If you like, add a light tint using 4 drops of food color. Mix them together until it forms a dough. If it's too sticky, mix in more flour, a teaspoon at a time.

When not in use, it's best to store the salt dough in an airtight container to keep it from drying out.

Put the dough on a board and flatten it with a rolling pin, about 1/4 inch thick.

This is an optional step. I'm doing it because I have these embossing sheets. I placed the sheet on the dough (embossed side facing the dough) and used a rolling pin to add some even pressure. 

The dough now has an imprint...TADA!

Make a few butterflies and dragonflies using the cookie cutters.

Using an off-set spatula, transfer these to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Poke a prominent hole on top using a toothpick. Make sure the hole goes all the way through so it doesn't close while baking.  

Bake these for two hours in a oven set at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.  

Here's what the butterfly looks like after it's been baked and cooled (I'm not sure where the little dots came from).

Add a jump ring through the hole and attach it to a bracelet (this one is made of stretchy cord and assorted beads).

Here's what the dragonfly looks like after it's been baked.

Doesn't it bring more life to this bracelet? 

I also made a flower using a cookie cutter.

Here's the flower after some time in the oven.  

I added it to a bracelet made of semi-precious stones.

We can also make some beads out of salt dough scraps. Just roll them into marbles.

Poke a hole through using the end of a paintbrush or skewer.

Bake this in the oven for 2 hours (oven set at 200 degrees Fahrenheit).

After baking, they look like these.

I used one bead as an accent to this pink bracelet...TADA!

I hope this project has gotten you excited to work with salt dough!

2 comments:

Your comments are very much appreciated!