21 September 2020

A Decorated Gift Box

Hello! Before I talk about today's craft, I thought I'd pay my respects to a resolute woman:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Feminist Gladiator - The Atlantic
illustration by Bijou Karman for The Atlantic 
 
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was mighty even in her small frame. Challenges like gender discrimination or cancer did not faze her. I really admired her "tough as nails" attitude. Whenever it was reported on the news that she was in the hospital, I would get worried and say a prayer for her, like she was my relative. So when it was announced on Friday that she passed away, my heart ached. 

I pray that she rests in peace. She passed away on the eve of Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) and according to Nina Totenberg (NPR Reporter): "A Jewish teaching says those who die just before the Jewish New Year are the ones God has held back until the last moment because they were needed most and were the most righteous." I'm trying to find comfort in that.


*****


Now that I've gotten that off my chest, on to lighter things...

Crafty recycling is the cornerstone of my blog. Before I toss an item, I think of ways to give it new life and transform it from blah to TADA!

Take for example this box. It used to house note cards with matching envelopes. 

But now it's empty. 

Here's how I gave it a second life:

I found an old catalog with cute photos. 

I'm using these elements as stickers.

I'm going for a travel theme to decorate my empty box. Don't you miss travel?

Here are my cutouts. They'll serve as embellishments and cover the flaws of the box.

After laying them out, I secured them in place with all purpose glue.

It's coming along pretty well.

Then I added some stickers for more color and whimsy.

And a little bit of washi tape.

The surprise inside: luggage tags and a TSA-friendly lock, in line with the travel theme...TADA! 

Put on the lid...

And complete with baker's twine.

This gift is ready to "travel" to its recipient...TADA!


2 comments:

  1. How cute! This is definitely a blah-to-tada project.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Priscilla! I always love your words of encouragement!

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!