18 January 2021

Book Club

Are you a part of a book club? It's usually a small group organized by a neighborhood library or bookstore and members meet regularly (ex. once a month).  Of course due to COVID-19 restrictions, most book clubs have turned virtual.

A book is chosen beforehand and members are given a few weeks to read it. During the meeting, the host/moderator asks some guide questions to initiate the discussion. 


There's usually some light snacks like coffee and pastries, or wine and cheese.    
I think it's a good excuse to throw a small gathering and talk about books! But I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation moved to topics not related at all to the book.

If I were to host a book club, I would give out party favors at the end of the evening. Here's what I would put inside:

What book lover wouldn't appreciate a bookmark? These are made using brush lettering on cardboard.

I found this pencil at the New York Public Library gift shop. There's inspiration on the pencil itself and it's very useful for making notes.

A set of book plates. These are letterpress cards from Etsy but you can make your own with sticker paper or card stock and double-sided tape.

Write your name at the bottom of the book plate and attach this on the first page of your favorite book.

I'll also provide snacks while reading: tea and cookies!

I'll wrap everything up in a goodie bag ready to be distributed to my friends at book club...TADA!

One day, when we can all gather again, I hope to be able to do this. If you belong to a book club, what other fun things do you like to do?

2 comments:

  1. When I make bookmarks, I like to put reading quotes on them, too. I made some for Christmas out of greeting cards and ribbon scraps I had saved through the year. The Caroline Kennedy quote with certain words highlighted is brilliant for a book plate.

    My close friend is in a book club that enjoys wine as much as reading. I think if I hosted it would be coffee instead of wine since I don't drink, but I could package one-pot size coffee beans in small cloth bags with a coffee or reading quote on the tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you make bookmarks, and quotes, and recycling Priscilla! Your ideas are wonderful! A coffee/tea party sounds so much fun!

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!