08 May 2022

A Homemade Gift Bag

Hey there! 

When wrapping presents, I rely heavily on gift bags because it's time-saving. Just put the gift inside, top with colorful tissue, seal the opening with tape, and attach a gift tag with handwritten wishes. The gift bag is also very forgiving no matter the shape of the gift. If the gift bag remains in good condition after it's opened, it can be used to wrap a new present...TADA! 

I used to buy these gift bags...you know, the ones with the cute designs? But now I make them using recycled wrapping paper, empty shopping bags, plastic bags or brown paper bags, and empty food boxes or tissue boxes. Why buy, when we can D.I.Y.? 

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

I have a "how can I repurpose this?" mentality. Take this for example: once all the chocolate chip cookies were consumed, I didn't have the heart to throw away the packaging. Instead, I turned it from "blah" to "TADA!"

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

All I did was cover up the branding with paint. I chose a shade closest to the existing vibrant green of the original packaging. It only took me two coats of paint (with some drying time in between).

Tates cookies, Tate packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, paper punch, scrap paper

I made some balloons out of a paper punch and scrap paper.

Tates cookies, Tate packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

Then I glued the balloons to the bag. Some balloons were raised for added dimension -- I used foam adhesive circles to achieve that.

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

Then I drew some string using a black pen.

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

I added a little tag with a fun salutation.

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

I should really celebrate because I instantly made a gift bag with materials that I already had on hand...TADA!

Tates cookies, Tates cookie packaging, food packaging, recycle, upcycle, gift wrapping ideas, gift bags, how to make your own gift bag, paint, balloons, blah to TADA, balloon confetti

Just add a gift and personalize with a card. We didn't even need tape because of the built-in wire closure mechanism of the bag. 

It is my greatest hope that this gift bag will be used over and over again!

Thank you for your visit and please celebrate the simple joys that come your way this week. If you'd like more of these crafty blog posts sent directly to your inbox, please subscribe here.

2 comments:

Your comments are very much appreciated!