27 August 2013

The One That Got Away

Yesterday, I told you about this fascinating exhibit I went to to commemorate Grand Central Terminal's 100th birthday:

Artists interpreted the theme "On Time" in various media.

One of the works that I particularly loved was this illustration by Sophie Blackall. I've been a fan since I read her book, Missed Connections, a collection of illustrated love stories inspired by the "Missed Connections" section on Craigslist.

Her piece in the exhibit is another kind of "missed connection."

"Grand Central, You and Me" -- Friday evening I was racing through the Main Concourse and you were there standing still, staring up at the stars. You had a book in your hand. You were lovely. Time stood still for a second while I fell in love, then I had to catch my train. Then I thought of a Plan. So here's my ridiculously romantic plan: Meet me under the stars on Valentine's Day. 8 pm. Bring your book. 

I hope it was a happy ending!

Some of Miss Blackall's prints are also on sale at the New York Transit Museum Gallery Annex and Store inside Grand Central. Here's a cute one:

"Knitting Girl on 7 Train to Sunnyside" -- Not only did you introduce me to the wonderful world of knitting, I quickly found myself smitten with you after chatting for a few minutes despite you mentioning you had a boyfriend. I can only hope he is terminally ill so that I'll get a shot at knitting something for your one day.

Finding inspiration in random places {such as Craigslist} and illustrating "missed connections"... I think these are blah to TADA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!