09 October 2017

A Trip to Maine

Over the summer, I treated myself to a creative retreat. The purpose was a break from routine and to come out refreshed with new ideas.

And because I've never been, I decided to go to Portland, Maine.

I rented a well-appointed cottage on a peaceful street.

There was a lot of quiet time to brainstorm, write, and paint. I found this bowl in the owner's cupboard and the indigo paint, I bought at the Art Mart

Here's a page from my travel journal. I tried to capture a day on the ocean where I got to see several lighthouses...

Including the Portland Head Light (the oldest light house).

A calm day on Casco Bay.

The view from the Eastern Promenade.

Maine is known for their lobsters. These are lobster traps, just a typical scene.

I had to indulge in fresh lobster rolls at the Portland Lobster Company.

I always make time to visit the vibrant farmer's markets.

Maine is also known for their blueberries.

 The Stonewall Kitchen was born in Maine.

To satisfy my sweet tooth, I stopped by a few bakeries like and Rosemont Market and Bakery, Tandem Coffee and Bakery, and Standard Baking Company.

As with other New England cities like Boston, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, I also discovered that Maine is teeming with makers and artists.

An afternoon at the museum (with an impressive museum shop).

My first time to attend a poetry reading! The power of the spoken word in the beautiful Longfellow Garden.  

Summer nights in Congress Square Park means music and dancing.

Sea Bags are totes made from old sails...TADA!

Chart makes jewelry and keyfobs made from old maps...TADA!

Greeting cards and postcards made by Maine artists!

Reading recommendations at Longfellow Books

Crafty kits at Circa Home and Vintage.

Lots of possibilities at the Knit Wit yarn store.

Vintage finds and local crafts at these shops: Pinecone and Chickadee, Blanche and Mimi, Folly 101, and The Merchant Co. 

Antique treasures at Portland Flea for All. I loved all these independent shops!

Here is a print of a mermaid with Allagash beer in one hand (it's a city of breweries) and a doughnut on the other (they're also known for their potato doughnuts)...a perfect souvenir from a very memorable trip.  I've already framed this and added it to our gallery wall at home...TADA!  

4 comments:

  1. I've been told that Maine is very much like Canada's Maritimes. (The lobsters and lighthouses are a highlight of that area for me.) Looks like you had a wonderfully relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! Thank you, Rochelle, for your regular visits!

      Delete
  2. The cottage is ADORABLE! Your travel journal painting is SO cute. And all the locations you visited are so picturesque. I'm not sure I could leave once I got there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Priscilla! I would love to explore the other cities of Maine!

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!