10 June 2019

Sketching Faces like Jane Davenport

I first heard about Jane Davenport at the craft store. She launched a line of paints and travel sketchbooks that really caught my fancy. I checked out her work and was truly impressed.

She draws these whimsical and dreamy portraits: 



I love the femininity of her ladies, her endless imagination, and her creative use of mixed media.

She has this beautifully written (and illustrated) book where she teaches her style of portraiture.

The book starts with a compilation of materials.

And each page has an easy step-by-step process on how to build the elements of the face.

Then she demonstrates how to use colors and layer materials.

Because I want to incorporate people in my watercolor paintings and travel journals, I read the book from cover to cover and practiced along. I have a long road ahead, but here are a few photos tracking my progress:

Trying out scale and balance. And sketching eyes and lips.

Practicing noses and ears.

Adding color and trying to get skin tones right.

I sketch as often as I can (here on old date books; it's a good way to recycle...TADA!) Practice makes you better!

And here are few attempts at mixed media: 






Next time, I hope to show you new, more colorful, and improved portraits. 

2 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job on the mixed media portraits! I like the almost-surreal look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, your words are ALWAYS encouraging! Thank you, Priscilla!

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!