28 January 2024

A Butterfly Embroidery

I'm so glad you are here!

Over the years, I've created butterfly-inspired crafts like this butterfly wall hanging, butterfly scent sachet, and butterfly watercolor painting. I've made it a tradition to make a butterfly craft at the end of every January. You see, I lost my Mom in January 31, 2017. She makes her presence felt through monarch butterflies -- during my walks in the park, when I see one in a book, on TV, or printed on fabric. Making these helps me honor her memory and is a form of healing for me, too. 

sewing, embroidery, needle and thread, sewing kit, embroidery hoop, butterfly, fabric crafts, white fabric, sewing crafts, crafts, handmade, remembrance, healing crafts, blah to TADA

Last year, I made this butterfly embroidery. I love the simplicity of the black thread on white fabric. But I thought we can still turn it from blah to TADA!

embroidery floss organizer, plastic bobbins, scissors, embroidery, sewing, sewing crafts, fabric crafts, sewing kit, blah to TADA, handmade, crafts, DMC thread, embroidery projects

I took out my embroidery thread selection.

embroidery thread, embroidery floss, DMC thread, thread, pink and purple thread, blah to TADA, scissors, sewing, crafts, handmade, embroidery

I was drawn to the shades of pink and purple embroidery floss. 

sewing, embroidery, needle and thread, sewing kit, embroidery hoop, butterfly, fabric crafts, white fabric, sewing crafts, crafts, handmade, remembrance, healing crafts, blah to TADA

Slowly, I filled in the little blank spaces, similar to a coloring book but using thread.

sewing, embroidery, needle and thread, sewing kit, embroidery hoop, butterfly, fabric crafts, white fabric, sewing crafts, crafts, handmade, remembrance, healing crafts, blah to TADA

I relied on a satin stitch and a few French knots for dimension.

sewing, embroidery, needle and thread, sewing kit, embroidery hoop, butterfly, fabric crafts, white fabric, sewing crafts, crafts, handmade, remembrance, healing crafts, blah to TADA

As you can see, I didn't complete the embroidery in one sitting. I would do a little each day (only a ten minute commitment). Sometimes I would repeat my Mom's name or told her stories as I sewed each stitch. It's my way of keeping her present.

sewing, embroidery, needle and thread, sewing kit, embroidery hoop, butterfly, fabric crafts, white fabric, sewing crafts, crafts, handmade, remembrance, healing crafts, blah to TADA

Here is the embroidered butterfly...TADA! I'll add it to my gallery wall to remind me that Mom is always close by.

How about you, are there special ways you honor the loved ones you've lost?

Please subscribe here if you'd like my future blog posts delivered right in your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!