07 May 2009

Produce Sacks

Garlic isn't the only one sold in sacks. Even onions come in these strong & sturdy holders. Because their size is notches bigger than the garlic sack, here's how I turned them from blah to Tada!:

I snipped off the sealed tips and removed the labels. I closed one end using clear fisherman's twine/nylon thread (non-elastic) using an "insert & double knot" motion (you may use the sewing machine for this step). Just be sure that the end won't unravel and can carry several pounds of produce.

Tada!
I made a pouch! I turned it inside-out and sewed on a ribbon so that I can close the open end.



Every time I go to the farmer's market or grocery store, I'll take this with me together with my reusable tote bag. I'll use it as a produce sack and stuff it with fruits & vegetables. That way, I'll be avoiding those clear plastic bags!


It's best to make several produce sacks that will allow you to segregate your purchases -- your farmer or grocer will be thankful since they have to weigh these, too!

How's that for a blah to Tada! idea?

7 comments:

  1. aren't you crafty!!!
    what a cute blog idea.
    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there and thank you for stopping by my little blog...

    you are one creative gal with those onion sacks...i will have to start thinking twice before i toss them away...great ideas!

    please do come and visit me again...i'll be stopping by for more of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi The Wild Raspberry & Rebecca! Thanks for leaving these really wonderful messages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous idea! I really like your blog and I will definitely be checking it out frequently. I take my own bags to the grocery, but it still bothers me that I have to use the plastic for my produce. Now I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thanks Hannah! I still have to think of a water-proof version of this for veggies like scallions, carrots and herbs that can be a bit moist. In a future post, maybe =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOOOVE all of your great garlic and produce sack ideas! They're so clever, and will be so very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Gemmifer...let's start saving all those garlic/onion sacks! =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!