27 August 2018

Turning a Basket into a Bag

Hi guys, thanks for stopping by!

Today, I will turn this basket from blah to TADA! and my inspiration is Jane Birkin.

via Getty Images
Jane Birkin is a British actress, singer, model, and her name is also associated with bags. The iconic and coveted Hermes Birkin bag is named after her. Prior to the success of the Birkin bag, she toted around a lidded basket. In the 1970's, she carried this non-traditonal bag everywhere, with any outfit, not just to the beach or market where you'd expect it to be used. She was often photographed with it making it her trademark accessory with the nickname "Jane Birkin basket".

The Jane Birkin basket had a resurgence this year. Many versions have come out in the shops like this one by designer Clare Vivier and there are more affordable ones on Etsy, too.

And because I have this basket, I'd like to play on the trend. I got it from a little shop in the Philippines. I meant to use it as a care package container and fill it with small presents. But maybe its calling is to be a fashion piece?


I found this sash in my closet...

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes
And twisted it on like they do the Twilly scarf on bag handles

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes
I finished with a tight knot.

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes
I think it makes my basket look more modern...TADA!

Here's another version:

I'm using an airy scarf this time (also found in my closet).

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes
I lined the basket with the scarf, put my stuff inside it, and tied the ends.

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes
This style is less exposed and keeps my stuff secure.

repurposing baskets, other uses for scarves and sashes 
I hope this has inspired you to reuse any baskets or scarves that you own, either for fashion or gift wrapping purposes. TADA!

2 comments:

  1. Both of your versions are nice, but I love the one with the blue, wrapped handle. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!