04 September 2022

People Sketches and a Gift for the Grandparents

I'm glad you're here!

Over the years, I've been practicing my watercolor skills. Sometimes, I like to experiment with faces:

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, plant lady, garden, gardener

This is a sketch of my friend Jenna who lives in Macau. She has a beautiful apartment with large windows and she is a mom to many potted plants. I sent this to her and she was so delighted by the surprise in the mail.

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature,

This is a sketch of me and my niece Kirsten. I made an imaginary spot in the garden with giant flowers shading us from the sun and each of us lost in a book.

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, 100 Day Project

I made this as part of the #100dayproject in 2020. It was the height of the pandemic and people all over the world had to wear a mask to stay protected from COVID-19.

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature,

Also during the pandemic, my husband and I worked from home. One day, I made a sketch of the people he talked to on a regular basis on speaker phone. Not having met or seen them, I made these drawings based on their voices ("she sounds like someone who wears pink and pearls"; "he sounds like he surfs during the weekend.") I showed these to him -- only two of these faces matched what they looked like in real life. Oh well.  

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature,

I made this for my friend Irene. It's a family portrait that I gifted her for her birthday.

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature,

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature,

These are attempts in self portraits. 

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, National Grandparents Day

I also made this sketch of my grandparents. They've called heaven home for many years now and I miss them so. Sometimes I wonder what we'd talk about if they were still around. Would they be savvy enough to do a video chat? Would they take selfies? 

This painting may not exactly resemble my grandparents but it captures their love. I think I'll frame it. 

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, portrait in a box, uses for an empty box

I found this small gift box with a window. 

blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, portrait in a box, uses for an empty box, National Grandparents Day

If I put the sketch inside, might it work as a picture frame?

National Grandparents Day, blah to TADA, sketch, watercolor, watercolor painting, people sketches, watercolor portraits, portraits, caricature, portrait in a box, uses for an empty box

It does...TADA! 

Maybe you or your kids can make a drawing of your or their grandparents (frame optional) that you can present to them on National Grandparents Day on September 11. This will definitely turn their day from "blah to TADA!"

Thank you for stopping by today and if you'd like to subscribe to my blog/newsletter, you can leave your e-mail here. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your artwork! I am looking forward to the day when my grandkid and I can draw together. He's still a baby right now, but some day maybe we'll draw or paint a picture for his mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best Grandma, Priscilla! I can't wait for you to make all the art with your sweet grandchild.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated!