30 August 2026

Sketchbook Practice: Stamps and Pattern Creation

Howdy folks!

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA

Today I am inspired by Jeanne McGee whose class I took virtually on Workshop Week

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA

She carved her own stamps using a printing block, but an eraser is also a more accessible and affordable alternative. She carved simple designs, inked up the stamps, and created these patterns on her sketchbook...TADA!   

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA

Here is another version. Making your own stamps is addicting -- you can find a tutorial here. Let your imagination run wild! 

But if you have some stamps that haven't seen the light of day, why not play with these?

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

I have these planner stamps that I hardly use. My bullet journals are quite straightforward with lists and notes, I really don't decorate it with stamps or stickers. 

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

Instead, I'll use the stamps on my sketchbook!

First, I painted a background using watercolor. With a few stamps (sun, cloud, palm tree, bicycle), an acrylic block, and ink pad, I brought this scene to life. 

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

It's a fun bike ride on a summer day...TADA!

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

For this one, I used the stars, palm frond, house, and car stamps. Add some hues to the houses and cars with colored pencils.

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

It's a peaceful neighborhood scene...TADA!

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

This one is a repeating pattern using the stamps (martini, beer, wine bottle and glass, happy hour, musical note, and asterisk).

stamps, rubber stamps, DIY stamps, cling stamps, ink pad, sketchbook, sketchbook practice, watercolor, colored pencils, blah to TADA, photo by Claire Mercado-Obias

Instantly, I painted a party scene...TADA! 

It's so relaxing just stamping away. It's like doodling with a result that turns a page from blah to TADA!

Would you like new crafty ideas delivered to your inbox? Please subscribe here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!