01 January 2023

The Joy of Journaling

Happy New Year and happy new journals!

journaling, Leuchtturm notebook, Leuchtturm Journal, Moleskine journal, Moleskine notebook, Pilot pens, notebooks, stationery, blah to TADA

I know that I'm not the only one with a deep obsession with notebooks and journals. Many of you are, too. I welcome all kinds but these have been my favorite for the past few years: Moleskine, Shinola, and Leuchtturm (pronounced this way). They're a little pricier but it's a tiny luxury that I use daily and helps with my productivity as a Bullet Journal.

As you can see, I've amassed quite a number over the years:

Moleskine journal, Shinola journal, Leuchtturm1917 journal, black journals, notebooks, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, bullet journal, blah to TADA

Maybe you have notebooks, too, but are intimidated by the blank page.

MHN, how to fill a blank page, journaling, journaling ideas, bullet journal, self care rituals, blah to TADA

Not too long ago, I joined the wise writer and artist Morgan Harper Nichols on Instagram Live where she talked about this very subject.

Morgan Haper Nichols says journals symbolize that we are present in the moment. She recommends that we set an intention when starting one (ex. fill the pages). She also says, "Remember that this is not a place for perfection but a place where I can be for the moment."

Here are her suggestions on how to fill the page:


Write down your observations (ex. I am wearing a sweater, I can hear the cars outside, I can smell my coffee).

gratitude list, gratitude, attitude of gratitude, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, bullet journal, blah to TADA, markers, doodles, sketches

Start a gratitude list.

dream list, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, bullet journal, blah to TADA, Sharpie pen, Crayola markers

Make a dream list. These are not goals (goals are for grown-ups). This list is for the 6 year old you (ex. build a lego castle, make up your own board game, try out 40 different kinds of chocolate) to keep childhood wonder alive.

doodles, doodling, bullet journal, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, blah to TADA, Sharpie pens

Fill the page with doodles (ex. flowers, hearts, write in cursive or bubble letters). Break the rules and have fun in small ways. You don't always have to have the right words.

stamping, doodles, doodling, bullet journal, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, blah to TADA, rubber stamps, craft stamps, ink pad

Here's another version of "doodling" this time using a bunch of rubber stamps and ink pads. My most cherished rubber stamps when I was a kid were these Little Twin Star stamps that I would decorate notebooks and stationery with:

Little Twin Stars, Kiki and Lala, stamps and ink pad, Sanrio, blah to TADA, nostalgia,
via e-bay

Sigh. I wish I took better care of this. But my love for rubber stamps has not diminished. I still love collecting them for various craft projects like Bible journaling, block printing, and gift wrapping...TADA!  

stamping, doodles, doodling, bullet journal, journal, journaling, journaling ideas, blah to TADA, rubber stamps, craft stamps, ink pad

I guarantee that filling a whole page is not only fun but also meditative.

Morgan Harper Nichols encourages us to journal to "Keep that sense of hope alive."

May you fill your notebooks with things that bring you joy -- today and when you look back years from now.

Thank you for stopping by and see you again next week!

3 comments:

  1. I keep a journal, too. Three of them: a prayer journal with prompts, a reading journal to jot down what I thought of a book once I've finished it, and a morning journal where I write totally random stuff for 30 minutes (or sometimes my thoughts on things I've recently learned... I guess that's a self-prompted journal entry).

    Haha, I tried to pronounce Leuchtturm then watched the video. I got it completely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Priscilla! I really love this insight to your process and how you record your days. My...what a collection of stories and reflections you've amassed over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Priscilla! I really love this insight to your process and how you record your days. My...what a collection of stories and reflections you've amassed over the years!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!