07 July 2011

Flea Markets in London


I'm not crafting this week, but that doesn't mean
I have no nifty ideas to share.

I hope you've been enjoying our trips to the flea markets.
Fancy a visit to London today?

London has many remarkable flea markets.
Here are three of my favorites:

The first, of course, is the one located on Portobello Road.

This sign shows how extensive the market is.
There are stalls open during the week, but it's best to
come on Saturdays when all the fabulous vintage
treasures and one-of-a-kind antiques come out.

Something will surely catch your eye here.
Make sure to step inside the independent boutiques
in the area if your preference is "brand new" -- clothes,
cookbooks, ceramics, travel guides or jewelry.

Another market, though smaller in scale,
It's open on Fridays from early morning to noon.
They sell smaller items like silverware, glassware, China and
other interesting curios that are easy to pack in your suitcase.

I like it because it has old items, handmade products like
clothes & bags, plus there's food {if you need a meal
right after shopping} all under one roof.
The neighborhood also has a youthful energy.

Okay, so here's what I bought:

Care to guess what it is?

It's a toast rack where you'd display freshly toasted bread
and put it directly on the dining table.
Trust the British to add pomp & circumstance to
everyday items. I've never seen this used elsewhere,
I just had to have one! And a vintage one at
that {I chose a more modern style}
for less than US$10.

The bottom slides off for easy crumb clean-up.

But because in my house, toast is consumed
on a eat-and-run basis, here's what
my flea market find looks like now:

It's where I organize all the postcards I've received!
TADA!


1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool. I would probably use it when someone's birthday comes around, or Christmas to put all the cards!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!