17 October 2013

Chalkboard DIY

Growing up, I had a mini chalkboard where I would practice my penmanship and draw silly doodles on. I also used it when I pretended to be a teacher with my stuffed animals as my students. Somehow, it felt powerful that I was yielding the chalk and I had everyone's attention {even if they were all inanimate}.

I'm happy that chalkboards never really went away, that's why I'm making some chalkboard-inspired crafts all this week.

But today, I'm keeping it old school.  

I'm recycling this wood backing from a damaged frame. I think it deserves a second life.

 A quick appointment with the sanding block for paint to easily adhere.

After cleaning the newly-sanded wood with a rag, apply several coats of chalkboard paint. Let this dry overnight.

 Before we can christen it a "chalkboard", a few more steps:

Apply a layer of chalk to condition the surface.

Wipe away the chalk layer with a damp cloth.

Add a hanging device -- I'm using some twine and hot glue. And now, I present to you our chalkboard:

I'd use it to make mundane chore lists more fun...just erase the completed task and move on to the next.

It's also great for making signs for any occasion. TADA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!